Grand Master Shi Deru (aka, Shawn Liu Xiangyang), founder and CEO of L.I.U. International Shaolin Institute, came to the U.S. over 20 years ago, after a lifetime of immersion in Shaolin culture and martial arts. As a young child Master Liu Xiangyang entered Chan life like his mentor, Great Grand Master, spiritual Chan leader "His Holiness" Shi Suxi at the Shaolin Temple, Master Liu endured great suffering and hardship during the Cultural Revolution.
Back home in China, he young Liu rose to a prestigious position as one of two indoor disciples to Great Grand Master Shi Suxi, being named Shi Deru by his mentor, and becoming a 31st generation descendent of the beloved spiritual leader of the Shaolin Temple. While continuing in his studies in Shaolin Kung Fu and Shaolin Culture, Master Deru, became a martial arts Master, graduated with a CMD in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) at the School of TCM in Anhui, worked as a physician at the #1 People's Hospital in the city of Wuhu, and earned a degree in Foreign Languages from Anhui Normal University.
When Great Grand Master Shi Suxi wrote to his protégé that it was his personal desire that his disciple: "transmit the Chan & Martial Arts to the world", Shi Deru came to the U.S. as the torch bearer for Shaolin cultural heritage and martial arts.
In the U.S. he earned a Bachelor's in English with Minors in Biology and Psychology (Mobile College), a Master's degree in Exercise Physiology (University of South Alabama), while quickly establishing himself, and becoming a highly sought after martial arts coach. Since 1987 more than 100 top fighters and martial arts champions in the world have trained under Master Deru at Shaolin Institute, among them; Patrick Barry, Cung Le, Robert Higginbotham, Kevin Nguyen, David Sanders, Wael Karika Muhammad, K.J. Noon, Li Jie, Juan Zarate and Melvin Guillard....
In the U.S. Shi Deru also devoted himself to making Sanshou/Sanda Kickboxing a worldwide sport, accomplishing that goal in 1993. He was so highly regarded that in 1994 he was voted Head Coach of the U.S. Wushu Sanshou Team by USAWKF (U.S.A. Wushu-Kungfu Federation) board members, board of advisors and national team competitors, leading the U.S. to victory in a number of international tournaments, winning many World Championship medals, and producing 5 World Champions in the process.
In 1995 Master Deru was voted Technical Chairman by instructors and officials of the International Wushu Federation (IWF) and IWF Pan American member countries, a position he holds to this day.
More Information about Master Liu
Promotion, Production, Officiating & Leadership1989-2013
- Produced five major public venue "Shaolin Legacy" full length productions.
- Produced over 200 private venues "Shaolin Legacy" shortened productions and professional martial arts exhibitions.
- Produced and directed seven "Art of War" professional Kungfu Sanshou Fighting Shows.
- Conducted hundreds of seminars and presentations at Police Academies, Homeland Security, US Coast Guard, US Army, Navy and Air force facilities, Schools, Universities, Health Care Clinics, and Companies, in over 100 major cities worldwide.
- Appointed Chief Referee for all of the U.S. National and International Sanshou competitions since he started first official Sanshou events in the U.S. and Pan American continents.
- Voted Head Coach and Team Leader later (2003) of the USA Wushu-Kungfu Federation National Sanshou Fighting Team.
- Led the U.S. Sanshou Fighting Team to victory internationally, producing 5 World Champions in the process & trained over 100 international and national MA champions
- Trained many World Class fighters including Cung Le and Patrick Barry.
- Directed and sponsored the Sanshou competition scheduling and planning at the III World Wushu Championships in Baltimore, Maryland (1995)
- Hosted XII major U.S. Open International Martial Arts Championships and additional more than 20 U.S. Open Challenges (regionally) in coordination with "K. Superstar - Art of War Professional Sanshou Fighting Production".( 1994-2012)
- Voted Technical Chairman by instructors and officials of the International Wushu Federation (IWF) and IWF Pan American member countries.
- Chief Referee for the nationally televised and Pay-Per-View United World Kungfu Championship.
- Hosted the National Team Trials in Atlanta, Georgia (1997 & 2003)
- Head Coach for the U.S. Sanshou Team and Referee for the U.S. versus China International Championship in Hawaii.
- University of South Alabama, MS in Exercise Physiology, 1991
- University of Mobile, BA in English and Minors in Biology and Psychology, 1988
- Anhui Normal University, BA in Foreign Language, 1984
- Wushu Traditional Chinese School of Medicine, CMD, 1978
- "Taiji & Qigong for Health and Wellness"
- Scientific Symposium on Journal of Experimental Biology (1991)
- Chinese Wushu and Woolin Magazines (1992-1993)
- Thesis Publication: "The Physiology Effect of Taiji and Qigong"
- Feature Articles in Taiji International Magazine (1992 and 2002)
- Feature Articles in Kungfu - Wushu Magazine (more than 10 issues)
- "US Coach Shawn Liu Xiangyang, in US vs. China in Hawaii" produced by CCTV Networks, China 1999
- Special Reports: "Kung Fu Master Shawn Liu" & "Master Shawn Liu with Shaolin Institute" in Mobile Press (1996, 2012)
- Featured on local TV networks of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC for more than 30 times (1991-2012)
- Featured in World Chinese Press for many times (1996-2012)
- Featured on local TV networks of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC for more than 30 times (1994-2012)
- Featured in Documentaries: Liu Xiangyang (Shi DeRu) "Father of American Sanda" & "Shaolin Warrior Monk in America" (more than 10 episodes 1999-2008)
- Featured in Many Articles in New Orleans Times Picayune (1996, 1999, 2000. 2003. 2004, 2006)
- Featured in Many Articles in Inside Kungfu Magazine (1995-2004)
- "Legendary Sanshou Techniques: World Renowned Teacher and Coach Shawn Liu Shows You the Secret to Sanshou Success" Inside Kung Fu Magazine (April 2004)
- Special Featured Articles in Mobile Press Register (1995, 1999, 2000)
- Featured Article: "Sanshou at Spot Light" as "God Father of Sanshou" in Kung Fu Magazine (1997)
- Featured at Atlanta Journal-Constitution (1997)
- Sanshou's Golden Boy-Cung Le in Wushu-Kungfu Magazine, November 1998
- History and Background of Cung Le
- Chinese International Press, East Coast Edition 1997
- World Press of East Coast of USA Edition 1997
- Mobile Register 1996, Special Report
- Mobile Register Special Article 1999
- "De Ru, Shawn Liu was attacked at the Shaolin Temple," Inside Kungfu 2003
- "What is Xing Ming's?" Inside Kungfu 2002
- "Sanshou and Coach Shawn Liu" in Sport Light Kungfu Magazine 1997
- USA Chief Representative & Head Master Disciple of Shaolin Spiritual Abbott, Great Master Suxi
- Chairman of Shaolin Chan Fundation
- Chairman, Shaolin World Federation Headquarters, USA
- President & CEO, USA Sanshou Kungfu Federation
- Technical Chairman, Pan Am Wushu Federation Technical Committee.
- President East-West International Culture Exchange, Inc.
- President and Head Master, LIU International Shaolin Institute
- Chief Referee for all of the United States National and International Sanshou competitions since Sanshou started in the United States (1993 - 2003)
- Head Coach of the USA Wushu-Kungfu Federation National Sanshou Fighting Team (1993 - 2002)
- Hosted VII major U.S. Open International Martial Arts Championships and many US regional scale US Open Challenges since 1994 including U.S. Open New Orleans co-sponsored by Sheriff Harry Lee, US Open International & K. Superstar - Art of War Professional Sanshou Fights' Production.
- Head Coach for the United States Team and Referee for United States vs. China, Hawaii, 1999
- Hosted National Team Trials in Atlanta, Georgia in 1997 and 2003
- Chief Referee for the nationally televised and pay-per-view United World Kungfu Championship, 1997
- Coached martial arts teams in both China and the United States since the late 1970s
- Directed and sponsored the Sanshou Competition scheduling and planning at the 1995 World Wushu Championships in Baltimore, Maryland
- Produced and directed the Art of War Professional Kungfu Sanshou Production, 2001-2003
- Conducted many week-long Taiji-Qigong Retreats for Health in Mobile, Alabama 1989 - 2003
- Conducted Relaxation and Back-in-Shape Seminars at Dow Chemicals Co. in Lake Jackson and Freeport, Texas 1991 - 1992
- Conducted seminars on Taiji and Qigong for Relaxation and Energy Improvements at Dow Chemicals Co. in different Texas sites.
- Conducted seminars and workshops, treating patients in a wide array of cities across the U.S., Canada, Brazil, Italy, Japan, Hong Kong, China, and more 1996 - Present
Other locations where seminars, workshops, and classes are held:
- Jefferson Parish - New Orleans, LA
- University of Mobile
- University of South Alabama (1992-1997)
- San Francisco Medical Center
- University of Maryland
- George Washington University Medical Center
- Spring Hill Memorial Hospital in Mobile
- Sad Health Center in Mobile
- Mobile Infirmary
- Chinese Medical Clinic in Washington D.C.
- University of Spring Hill College
- Seminars for all Louisiana Police Martial Arts Instructors sponsored by Jefferson Parish Sheriff
- Special classes in Taiji and other courses for Jefferson Parish Sheriff (Special Friday classes) from 1999 - present)